The definition of Baroque, “extravagant or complex” may seem like a strange way to describe a period of music. This description comes from the high degree of added ornamentation and improvisation that was common during the Baroque era. Simple melodies were elaborately decorated, with a similar level of ornate detail that can be seen in Baroque architecture.
In this sequence of pages about the Baroque Era you will learn about:
- Influence of dance on Baroque music
- Symmetry and detail in Baroque architecture
- Ornamentation and form in Baroque music
- Wide range of ideas and affects communicated through Baroque music
- Strengths of the instruments at the time were exploited
- Notable Baroque composers
Use the links at the top and bottom of the pages to navigate through information about the Baroque Era. We will start by learning about Baroque dance.