Welcome to the section of my website about music eras!
This project is designed to provide intermediate through high school flutists an overview of music eras from a flute player perspective. Along with the general background of each music era you will find links to flute-centered videos of music from that era.
For each music era, you will learn:
- Name of the musical era and when it occurred
- Musical forms that developed during that era
- State of the flute as an instrument during that era
- Well known composers during that era
- Additional pertinent background, including dance styles and intellectual movements
- Links to videos and audio to demonstrate concepts of that era
Videos are chosen to provide a variety of experiences, including:
- Professional flutists who every flute player should know
- Young artists and ensembles
- Period instruments and modern instruments
- Variety of ensembles, including solo, trio, choral and orchestral
- Dancers performing dance music
- Short theater productions
How to Explore These Pages
- Select the name of an era from the top menu to start exploring that era. The submenu provides access to all of the information about that era.
- Alternatively, click through the navigation links at the top and bottom of each page within an Era to read through the pages in order. Navigation links look like this:<< Previous Page | Next Page >>
- While you are on a page, be sure to click the links! There are plenty of pathways to music videos from each time period, and additional information and pictures.
Enjoy learning about the Music Eras from a flutist perspective!
The following references were used to create this project.
- Bauer, Helen Young People’s Guide to Classical Music. Amadeus Press, 2009.
- Donington, Robert Baroque Music Style and Performance A Handbook. W.W. Norton & Company, 1982.
- Goulding, Phil G. Classical Music The 50 Greatest Composers and Their 1,000 Greatest Works. Fawcett Books, 1992.
- Powell, Dr. Ardal The Flute. Yale University Press, 2003. http://flutehistory.com
- Wilson, Rick Old Flutes. http://www.oldflutes.com/
- Grove Music Online. Oxford University Press, 2001. https://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/
Is there a subject that you want to learn about?
Something that you think should be added to this project?
Contact me and let me know!